Thursday, April 30, 2009

Season Two Episode Twelve


Twelve dozen clay jars, all different heights but all the same width, ranging from five feet to just one foot. They're all spread through-out the room, evenly filling it. Each is filled with a different liquid, and only one has what I need. There is a ring at the bottom of one of these jars, which I must have within an hour. How can I get to the ring, without emptying the jars of their contents (including leaving the jars in tact)?

I could try knocking on the jars, seeing if the tone is different, maybe the one with the ring will sound like it has a ring in it? This of course, would be a lot easier if each jar was the same height, then there would be a definite difference in tones. It would also help the situation if the jars had been filled with the same type of liquid, instead of each jar having a different liquid.

Is there a substance on earth that would cause the ring to rise from the bottom of the jar? If there was a liquid I could fill the room with, I'd just have to try and seal the door as best I can, the ring would rise to the top of the jar... but then that leaves me with the problem of getting to the ring without opening the door, thus letting the liquid escape the room and the ring to sink back to the bottom of whichever jar it currently occupies.

And here my brother tells me there's no use for scientific thought. I bet if I had been one of those scientific scholars, I'd have come up with a solution by now. It's a wonder I made it this far, but then again I have been sneaking into the lecture hall, it seems as though some of what I heard has sunk in, too bad they hadn't discussed this sort of situation, in even the slightest detail. The only thing I remember that could out right now is that metal corrodes when left in ... in what?! What was that name of that liquid? Was it a liquid? If only my memory would serve me more effectively. I hope she doesn't call off the wedding... at least before I can figure this out.

No comments: