Thursday, June 26, 2008

Fifth


So here's a drawing I did back in elementary school. I had found it with some of my other art from back then. I really wanted it to look as much as a potato as possible, that's pretty much how it turned out. But then, having a picture of a potato is a little boring, so I drew in the super hero. I'm pretty sure he's flying out to stop a meteor from hitting his planet. I was thinking whether or not to give him a cape and I think I didn't just because I didn't think a potato hero would wear a cape.
Kids. You know what I don't like about how humans think? At ever little stage in our lives, we think we have things all figured out. We keep saying "I know a whole lot more than I did back then" or something to that affect. When we get older we know that we don't have everything figured out and that there is still much to learn, but eventually we get right back to that point of "Yeah, I know my stuff." I suppose it has something to do with confidence; if we figure we've got something figured out then we're doing okay. I know how to do my job properly, I can relax. The thing is, if someone ever comes along and tells us we're doing it all wrong, that messes it all up. Or rather, it can potentially mess everything up. That all depends on a few factors. One is: who the advice is coming from. As kids, if that advice comes from our parents, then we respect that and try to do things their way. As teens, we either try out their way or we don't. If we try it their way and their way becomes proven, we switch. If it doesn't suite our liking or if we think our way is better, we ignore it. I'm pretty sure the same reaction is with adults but with less angst and rebellion.
Where am I going with this? I could have drawn the potato differently.

No comments: