Sunday, March 22, 2009

Season Two Episode Four


Coupons.

They are the driving force for seniors, mothers, and those guys who keep track of their favorite whatever. They were created to draw people into stores who felt they could do better in sales, but weren't. Although, now that I think about it they were probably created to allow the customer a free sample of a new product, which is also trying to boost sales for the previous reason. I'ma look it up.

Okay so it was first designed for people to drink Coca-Cola. Huh. Before, Coke was just some kind of tonic and then this guy was all like "we need to make this drink bigger and widespread". So then, why do I bring up coupons? It all started back when I was riding the bus, last week. Back then, things were different. Now it's all "gimme candy", now it's all "candy's lame".

There I was, riding the bus, minding my own business, when suddenly some university students get on the bus! A little while later, this old lady gets on the bus, as if from no where! Well actually if an elderly person was able to do anything as if from no where, that'd be a miracle. So here I was, looking out the window, and there was that old lady talking to the bus driver about some of the dumbest things I've over-heard. Somehow she runs out of such things to say and turns to one of the girls who got on at the university, who was reading the university newspaper, and asks if the paper has any coupons the students can use. As if coupons were the only things that mattered in a newspaper.

The girl politely said no and smiled and I politely gave the old lady a roll of my eyes (which went unnoticed, hence it being polite). I don't know what it is about coupons, but I generally don't get around to using them. I really only use them for the grocery store, and pizza, and only because pizza is over-priced and groceries... well groceries are essential and if I can get them for cheaper, then why not? But I don't think that I envision myself as an old man sitting by the door in my rocker waiting for the fliers to come so I can save on socks at Walmart. Ha ha! It's a pretty funny image though, so maybe I'll do that when we're expecting company, just to throw them off a bit. Mutter something about coupons every now and then whilst rocking in my chair, facing the door. And like, five feet from the door. Oh the dinner parties we'll have.

WOTD:

Riparian - (adj) of or relating to the bank of a stream, river, or lake

Haiku:

Head feeling dizzy
Spun like a record, baby
Sit down for a spell.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Oh, I LOVE coupons! I use them at the grocery store, and also at the pharmacy to buy shampoo and makeup and stuff. Last week, I used a "coupon" to get an hour massage for only $39. It wasn't really a coupon, but it was more of a "just call us and make an appointment and we'll give you the cheap price." But I had to mention the ad. But I will use coupons whenever I can, because why not? Saving money is awesome.