Monday, October 13, 2008

Onehundred and Nine


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Ghosts.

I don't know what's so appealing about ghosts in general, except they seem to make for a good story. I suppose there's a mystery about them and it's a part of spirituality that most people are curious about, at one stage in their life or another.

They're fairly popular in movies, maybe not so much in stories now, or at least not unless it's a thriller or an actual ghost story.

I'm not really a fan of ghost stories, just because a lot of them are... well at least in movie form, not all that scary and also fairly lame. The one movie I do enjoy though is Ghost Ship. I just finished watching it, and I had seen it before. I wouldn't say it's the best ghost story out there, or even original, but I like it and I'd probably watch it again in a few years. I probably saw it when it first came out, not in theater but on video, which actually is how I saw it today (not dvd). It came out in 2002, so maybe I had seen it on dvd, but maybe not because vhs was still around. Anyway, the point is that I'd rather see that than... Ghost Watcher and also it's been 6 years since I last saw it, so that's probably how long until I'll get the urge to watch it.

Not to say that I don't like thrillers, just that I don't often get watching ghost stories, however I do enjoy Ghost Whisperer every now and then. Hmmm. Maybe it's that I don't like the horror ghost stories because they're just after a cheep scare, the kind where they flash something on the screen and it makes you jump but doesn't actually scare you.

Actually I think I just like ghost stories if there's mystery in them and they're not a cheesy horror. Ohhhh. That's what it is, I like ghost mystery stories.

Okay, here's the WOTD:

Disinter - (vb) 1. to take from the grave or tomb 2. unearth

Haiku:

Uneasy feeling
Something strange in neighborhood
Who you gonna call?

3 comments:

Robin said...

I saw that it was Thanksgiving in Canada on my wall calendar last night, and then you confirmed it this morning! can you tell me about Canadian Thanksgiving? I know it's completely different than the US's Thanksgiving, which is the 4th Thursday of November. I'd Wiki it, but figured you'd give me a good answer.

XeroxtDave said...

Yes Robin, we do have cresent rolls, thanks for askin- what? Oh I getchya. Thanksgiving in Canada consists of much the same things as in the U.S. but with less historic patriotism. Really, to the average family it's an excuse to have turkey or chicken or ham and get together with family whilst eating lots. Some like to say what they're thankful for and do some kind of ...traditional ...jig? Anybody? but I'd say mostly it's just a time for family efforts and good eats. I'm sure Wiki would give a better more traditional all Canadian point of view, but you left it to me. So there's mine.

Robin said...

So it's celebrated the same, there just isn't the whole "sorry we're taking over your land, have some food" background. Actually, according to Wiki, the pilgrims were thanks Squanto for helping them learn to catch food. Without him, they would have starved.

But yes, it sounds exactly the same as US Thanksgiving. Lots of food, and family/friends.