Friday, January 30, 2009

Onehundred Seventyfive


Taking liberties.

I'm talking about when someone takes what is already made, what is already a good thing, and they alter it slightly or a lot or all together, because they think that what they've got to offer is better than what already exists.

Most of the time, I'm pretty sure this should never be done. There might be the odd exception out there, but I doubt that chance happening comes along more than once a century. I suppose I'm more talking about tv shows and movies... because I was thinking just now that it's not true when it comes to ice cream. I like vanilla, but I like it more with strawberries or raspberries or other type fruit. I also like it with chocolate sauce or caramel sauce.

No, I think more of what I'm talking about has to do with stories. When the author is in charge ...well that's up to them if they change their own stories around, whether it is for better or worse, but I'm not going to complain all that much because it is their making and they can do with it what they like. I might just stick to whichever is better, and I suppose that's just what I'll have to do when it comes to strangers coming in and changing a good story.

For example, I really like the series called "The Sword of Truth" by Terry Goodkind. But I really don't like "Legend of the Seeker", the tv series "based" upon the first book. Normally I'd provide links for these subjects, but I really can't find myself to promote the show any further. The only think I've liked about it so far is it helps provide good visuals as to how that world would look. That's about all the good I'll say about it. Well, and I guess I don't have too much of an objection to how the characters are portrayed... but that's all I'll say about it.

I say we just leave the change making to the edibles. You can spit out bad food, you can't un-watch an hour. It would be good if you could because there would definitely be a few movies and shows on that list.

WOTD:

Uxorious - (adj) excessively devoted or submissive to a wife

Haiku:

Sound echoing through
Bouncing off walls inside cave
Must be more careful.

3 comments:

Robin said...

"I'm talking about when someone takes what is already made, what is already a good thing, and they alter it slightly or a lot or all together, because they think that what they've got to offer is better than what already exists"

I thought at first that you were making fun of my treadmill desk idea that I wrote about last night. And I was going to say "That SOB! What the crap? I think the treadmill desk is a GREAT idea." And then I kept reading. Good thing, cause I was gonna be all kinds of pissed! :)

But I think you're right about the whole book/TV show thing. I just started watching True Blood, and I guess the Sookie Stackhouse books that it is based on are completely different! I can't think of any other examples, though.

What made you think of this?

XeroxtDave said...

What made me think of this? Oh... I kinda thought the whole "Legend of the Seeker vs. Sword of Truth" was clear. I thought of it because I had watched 'Legend of the Seeker' and I have also read (and own) the Sword of Truth series.

Robin said...

Hahaha, you said you were just using it as an example! I didn't know that was the reason behind the whole post.

And you haven't posted in three days. What's up with THAT?