Monday, November 24, 2008

Onehundred Fortyone



I don't know if I believe in luck, or if it really is "luck" and not happenstance or coincidence or fate or destiny (is that different from fate?), but I do know this: Sometimes I do feel lucky. Punk.

If good fortune is the definition of luck... well what does that say about fortune cookies? I ask this because nowadays you can find your "fortune" underneath the bottle cap of a Jones, it's a by-product of business. So then, back in the day (14th C.) when they were called "moon cakes", people took this stuff seriously because it was more like passing along a secret message but then it slowly changed over to what we know as fortune cookies today.

I think what I'm looking to know is whether or not people are living out their lives based on their luck. Even before I finished typing that sentence I knew the answer, but I wonder if that's more superstition than luck, so then is superstition part of luck? I suppose it would have to be. I guess for a moment I just found it hard to believe people would go about their lives seeking out luck.

I think the most I ever turn to luck as a way of life might be... I don't know, I guess if I'm going into a big exam or interview or ....something, I might say "Wish me luck". But it's not like I've said that often or believe that without that person's wishing of luck that I won't pass the test or get the job or um...

I suppose that I am part Irish and so I maybe should believe a little more in luck... but then I suppose I'd have to feel more lucky to really believe in luck. Maybe it's the lack of luck in my life that makes me not believe in it. I might say that if someone avoids a crash, then I might call it luck, but I think that's more of a phrase for me: "Wow, that was lucky". I don't believe that I mean it, as if the thought of "That person must have a lucky rabbit's foot on their key chain" goes through my head.

That being said I do tend to get a little superstitious at times, wearing my Roughrider shirt on game day (not that it did much good) or maybe I'll ...um... I can't think of another example. Also, if I find a $20 on the ground, I might just call it my lucky day. I don't really consider myself all that lucky though. Or... can you be luck and accident/injury prone at the same time?

WOTD:

Jalousie - (n) a blind, window, or door with adjustable horizontal slats or louvers.

Hee hee, a jalous(ie) louver(s).

Haiku:

Fairy tale love
Always meant to be not me
Finding someone else.

No comments: