Monday, November 17, 2008

Onehundred Thirtyseven


Okay, here's something about which I am not sure if I like it or not. News puns.

Whenever a news story is brought up in the news, it seems to happen especially on tv, or rather I don't read the newspaper too much so I guess I can't say, but I'm sure it happens quite often in the paper as well; a pun will always be delivered with the headline. It seems to have come to be something I have grown used to, or that it's something I've come to ignore.

No, I've decided that I don't like it, for the most part. I would like it if they were being clever, but I'm pretty sure also that there are only so many times you can be clever with a pun. I don't like that puns are used all too often in a headline or a transition (from one news anchor to another) and I don't like how obvious the pun can be.

I was going to give an example but I don't want to give anyone any ideas or to further promote the use of puns. I don't even get a smirk from news puns anymore. It's more like a sneer.

And that's all I have to say about that. Now it's time for something completely different.

WOTD:

Zouave - (n) a member of a French infantry unit orig. composed of Algerians wearing a brilliant uniform and conducting a quick spirited drill; also: a member of a military unit modeled on the Zouaves.

Haiku:

Fruit basket of love
Filled from my heart's over-flow
Found in back alley.

No comments: