Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Onehundred Twentyseven


The phone.

Since the phone's invention, there has been an urgency to answer it. This can be seen especially in the case of a cordless phone. Since its invention in 1966 by George Sweigert and when the phone was first left off the hook, soon after its invention (probably), there have been people searching frantically for that $%$## %^&^% @*&%^ phone.

It is as if the phone has a compelling force all its own that bids us answer it. Someone could be in the middle of something very important, perhaps their career even depends on it, but if their mobile went off, they'll answer it as soon as they can get to it. Some people are smart enough to either shut it off before the importance ensues, or to shut it off right away, but the fact that they still have it on them shows us just how much we have become on instant communication. Here's a dramatization:

"Oh man! Where's that danged phone?! I can't believe it's out of my hands yet again! I should just get one o'those ear pieces and affixiate myself. Better yet I should just up and cyborg! That way I'll be attached to the world forever and always! My dreams have come true, thank you local telephone and internet company."

More often than not, I know I'm right.

WOTD:

Hanger-on - (n) one who hangs around a person or place esp. for personal gain

Oh. Much like a leech. Just like the phone leeching off your ear!

Haiku:

Stealthy sneak attack
Intricate kung fu combo
Much surprise achieved.

No comments: