Friday, February 6, 2009

Onehundred Seventynine


I used to think that if I were the lead singer in a band, I'd want it to be a heavy metal band or maybe a punk band, but either way, the whole time I was on tour, in a way of illustrating what my songs might be about, I'd spend the concert in a box. Just some cardboard box just big enough for me to sit cross-legged under. Yeah, I wouldn't be just in the box, I'd be inside it, so you can't see me. And I'd be sitting there screaming the lyrics.

Now I wonder if it was some kind of subconscious thing and what kind of message that means for myself (as a guy not the lead singer for a band). Like how you might interpret a dream. At the time I thought it would be a fun little gig. And I'd make sure there were holes in the box, cause I know you'd get pretty hot in there... but it would be a sacrifice I'd make because of the point I'd be trying to get across. I'm not too sure what that point would be, but that's because I'm not-in-a-band Dave. In-a-band Dave would have it all planned out and understood.

Also I think it would make for a cool opening to a show. This box just gets set on the stage before the rest of the band comes out, and you're all like "What's with the box?". It would be really sweet if I could be there in the box before anything, like even when the opening bands are playing, that would be wicked sweet! Just like... have a oxygen canister I could use and um, make sure I had water and didn't have to use the washroom. But like, there's just this box on stage and nobody in the other bands are using it, the stage crew isn't moving it... but you know that my band is going to use it for some reason because of the lyrics to my songs... but how am I going to use the box? Is there anything inside? Man, what do you do? Probably throw something at it. Hope it's not a brick.

And then my band comes on, they start playing the first song and everyone in the crowd is waiting until I come out and then I start singing and you're in the crowd looking around for where I might be, oh because the box isn't where I'd stand as lead singer, it's more off to the side. I don't know how that might go over, but that would be sweet for that first couple of shows. Man, in-a-band Dave is crazy. He's going to be sore afterwords because the box is still there when everyone leaves and the lights get taken down, so then your band's personal crew guy comes in with the dolly and takes the box out to the tour bus and that's when I get out. Tee hee.

WOTD:

Cynosure - (n) a center of attraction

Haiku:

Breath into the clay
Watch it grow into a jar
Fill it with your love.

No comments: