Saturday, February 28, 2009

Onehundred Ninetysix


Fallen oak trees were all that remained of what once used to be a place of beautiful seclusion. It was said a hospital was going to take its place. Kill the earth so that we may live. Some would say that was a good thing, some would cry out at the injustice of it.

The city would make sure there was a lot of foliage to help maintain the image of what once was, to try and hide the fact that hundreds of trees were now gone. The press would make it look good, that was their job. In time, people would forget. The hospital will create jobs and serve as a place where many loved one's lives are saved.

Strong memories are hard to forget and at least in those memories and in the photographs taken, that oak forest will live on. We had taken many walks together in that forest. It was the place where we had our first picnic. I'll remember the way she smiled and let out a joyful sound when I removed the blindfold and she saw were she was. It was where her grandfather would take her and taught her about nature. It was where she went for her assignment in photography. It was where she wanted her wedding photos taken, right by our tree. That big beautiful tree where I had carved our initials in a heart into.

Too bad she wasn't here with me right now because I'd have to tell her when she got back from her trip to Fiji. She would have to see this for herself, and that meant having me there beside her, which meant I'd have to see this again, relive this again. It would be another sad day but I was the man, so I could handle it. I would have to handle it so I could support her. For right now that was something I'd face another day. Right now I stood in silence and morned the passing of this ...well it wasn't a forest anymore now, was it. This soon-to-be hospital. I suppose this site would always carry sorrow now. If not for the forest, for the people who would come here to die. And that is the nature of life, to be here for what would seem only a moment, only to pass before you could have your say.

No comments: